Gettin' My Ricotta On
Ya’ll this dessert is amazing.
I saw this recipe and it looked absolutely delicious, but when I looked at the ingredients, it just seemed wayyy too risky and weird.
But I guess risky and weird is my thing because.. I went for it.
This cake tastes like summer, it is melt-in-your-mouth, lemony, moist but crumbly, filling, and all too beautiful goodness.
Also for those of you who love all things gluten free, this is a great recipe for you to try!
Hope you enjoy
LEMON ALMOND RICOTTA CAKE
-1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, softened
-2 cups powdered sugar
-2 vanilla beans – if you don’t have vanilla bean you can substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-zest from 2 lemons
-4 eggs (separated and at room temperature)
-2 1/2 cups almond meal
-10 1/2 ounces of ricotta
Okay! So these instructions can seem a bit tricky, but this prep time takes about 20-30 minutes, so don’t worry, you can do it!
- Freeze your beaters and a mixing bowl (separate from your electric mixer) – this is helpful for when you beat your egg whites.
- Heat oven to 400·F and spray a round pan with baking oil – I use a pie dish (mostly because my pie dish is so gosh darn cute).
- Beat softened butter, half of powdered sugar, vanilla seeds, and lemon zest with your electric mixer until pale and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, keeping the mixer constantly going on a slow rate.
- Add almond meal and beat until combined. Fold in the ricotta.
- Take your mixing bowl and beaters out of the freezer and beat the remaining powdered sugar and egg whites until the mixture is stiff. Gently, fold them into the cake batter.
- Pour your delicious mixture into your pan and top with almond flakes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, you will need to cover with tin foil after about 25 minutes until cooked. After it’s finished, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top if you’d like. – The top of the cake will brown, don’t worry, you are not burning it. Remember that since this cake is so moist and crumbly, if you stick a knife in the center to check if it is done, there will be residue on your knife – don’t worry, it’s cooked properly
- Let cool for a few hours, this cake even gets better the next day!
You will want to make this over and over again, its okay, its so worth it :)