Vegan Never Tasted So Good
Okay no joke, this is my absolute new favorite dessert ever.
And guess what, yes, its
Trust me, its is absolutely delicious, don’t you worry.
I made this for the first time at a little getaway with some really special friends of mine, and then again just recently made is as my husbands birthday cake, and now I’m going to make it again because I’m bored and I’m craving it like a crazy woman.
Now, this is a slab pie. Never heard of one? Me neither until I made this. Lets learn together.
A slab pie is just a shallower version of a regular pie made in a 9×13 sheet pan. So why make a pie this way? Well its just fun, okay? Also some people get really stressed out when they make pies because cutting into one and taking the first slice can sometimes be detrimental. So this just calms the nerves and takes the stress away.
Slab pie people, the world greatest invention.
Also I want to note that this definitely does not have to be vegan. If you don’t have the resources to get these ingredients, just use regular butter, no big deal at all.
You should make it too, make it with me!
Here’s how it goes..
VEGAN APPLE CRANBERRY SLAB PIE
-FOR THE PIE CRUST
-12 tablespoons vegan margarine, very cold
-3 cups all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon sugar
-1/3 cup vegetable shortening
-6 tablespoons ice water
-FOR THE FILLING
-3/4 cup sugar
-2 tablespoons flour
-3 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
-2 cups raspberries – I like frozen because all of the extra juices add a lot more flavor, and no need to defrost.
-1 cup cranberries – the same as above, frozen is great. If you can’t find whole frozen cranberries, dried cranberries are great as well.
-1/4 cup orange juice
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
HERE’S HOW WE DO IT
- To make the dough, combine all ingredients either into your electric mixer or food processor, whichever you prefer. Mix until incorporated and wrap in plastic wrap, place in refrigerator for a few hours.
- When you are ready to bake roll out your dough and line the bottom of your 9×13 baking pan, making sure that you come up with the dough on the side edges. – For something a little fun, you can use your extra dough to make cutouts to place on top of the filling. I really like the fall leaves cut outs, you can find them at Michael’s along with lots of other cut outs!
- To create the filling, combine all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Make sure you are stirring your mixture in order to not have anything stick on the bottom of your pan.
- Once the apples are tender and the juices have thickened, remove from heat and set aside to cool for a bit. – This is a perfect time to roll out your dough and prepare your pan.
- Once your dough has been rolled out and your pan is prepared, pour your filling over time and make sure it is evenly spread out, and top with your beautiful fall leaves. – If you’d like you can brush the top of the leaves with almond milk and some sugar, but this step is not necessary.
- Bake at 375·F for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool for a bit before serving, and store covered at room temperature. This dessert tastes great the next day, cold too!
This is seriously so good, a great dessert, snack, maybe even a quick run out the door grab for breakfast.
Hope you love this as much as I do :)